How to Become a Certified Gambling Counselor


How to Become a DHS-Approved Problem Gambling Service Provider In Minnesota

To become a DHS-approved problem gambling provider in Minnesota an individual must: 1) be a licensed alcohol and drug counselor, mental health professional (licensed clinical social worker, psychologist, marriage or family therapist) or a psychiatric registered nurse, and 2) complete additional gambling training approved by the Minnesota Department of Human Services (DHS).

A counselor can become certified by taking training available online through the University of Minnesota Duluth/North American Training Institute.

Professionals may earn a National Certified Gambling Counselor (NCGC) credential offered through the International Gambling Counselor Certification Board. More information can be found here. If counselors have previously received training through another state’s program and hold an NCGC, reciprocity may be available.

Prospective gambling counselors interested in accessing state problem gambling funds must also agree to terms in the application and handbook provided by the state.

Scholarship Available

The Minnesota DHS offers a scholarship to assist counselors in completing the Studies in Gambling Addiction certificate offered through the University of Minnesota Duluth/North American Training Institute. To apply for a scholarship, please complete and return the scholarship application to Once approved, scholarship recipients may register for the classes. After successful completion of the course work, materials should be submitted to for processing and reimbursement. A limited number of full scholarships are available to providers working with an identified underserved population.

Note: Professionals can be gambling counselors in Minnesota without DHS oversight. DHS approves/certifies providers/counselors only if they desire to access state grant funds for this use.

If you’re interested in learning more about becoming a certified gambling counselor in Minnesota or have questions, please call DHS Problem Gambling Program staff: Helen Ghebre, (651) 431-2245, or Trevor Urman, (651) 431-2231.